Filter by Category
DR 600EB_ON Beginning Drawing
with Meghan Cox
Learn to draw what you see realistically and with confidence – from the comfort of your own home! Master the basics of observational drawing using line and tonal value with the still life as your subject. Videos, lectures and assignments with regular instructor feedback will promote understanding as you hone your skills. This course is ideal for beginners or for intermediate students wanting to refine their abilities.
• Gain familiarity with a wide range of material and techniques including but not limited to, placement, proportion, sight measuring
• Acquire a working knowledge of the fundamental principles of drawing.
• Acquire the ability to depict observed form through a mastery of proportion.
• Demonstrate proficiency in the methods and materials of painting’s various disciplines and media.
• Students will ultimately learn to “see.”
DR 604EE_ON Essential Human Anatomy
with Roberto Osti
The human body is one of the most fascinating subjects an artist can depict, but its anatomical complexity can make it intimidating. Roberto Osti, artist, teacher and author of Basic Human Anatomy: An Essential Visual Guide, makes anatomy approachable and enjoyable. Study the structural aspects of the human form: basic landmarks, essential volumes, and proportional relationships. Progress to the main muscle groups to identify their surface effects and aesthetic characteristics. Includes videos, lectures and assignments with regular instructor feedback.
DR 716OP_ON Observational Perspective Drawing
with Frederic Kaplan
Perspective is at the heart of good drawing and painting, allowing us to translate the observable world into believable two-dimensional images and create invented spaces. Learn the fundamentals of linear perspective in clear, easy to-understand language, and apply these principles to still life, interiors and cityscape views. Includes videos, lectures and assignments with regular instructor feedback. Basic drawing experience recommended.
• Improve observational and interpretive skills, including the ability to gauge proportions, orientations, and relative positions of objects and their parts.
• Achieve understanding of the core principles of linear perspective.
• Develop skill in applying the principles of linear perspective to real-world situations.
IN 604CP_ON Color For Painters
with Al Gury
An in-depth approach to understanding and mixing color for oil painting from the Chair of PAFA’s Painting Department and noted author of Color for Painters: A Guide to Traditions and Practice. Explore history, palettes, mixing and application for still life, portrait, interior spaces and landscape through a series of studio paintings. Includes videos, lectures and assignments with regular instructor feedback.
• Students will gain an understanding of the history and evolution of color in painting.
• Students will gain an understanding of theoretical and critical approaches to color.
• Students will gain an understanding of the practical applications of color mixing, gradations, temperature and palettes.
• Students will learn color application through studio projects using the major aesthetics of color.
• Students will learn to understand the use of color in a variety of masterworks.
PR 615PP_ON The Portable Print
with Shushana Rucker
Learn to make your own fine art prints without a press or special equipment! Create your own “portable” print-shop to use at home or to create plein air works outdoors. Gain the confidence and expertise to perform the following techniques on your own: relief, oil- and water-based monotype, Gauguin monotype, stencil printing on fabric, stamp printing, solar etching, and paste paper making. A demonstration on how to make a portfolio to store paper and prints and simple framing techniques will be provided. Comprehensive online instruction is comprised of video demonstrations, guides, and assignments with regular instructor feedback.
• Gain an understanding of the basic processes in printmaking and receive an overview of its history.
• Gain experience in relief and intaglio techniques.
• Students will produce a variety of images using different printmaking techniques
• Gain an understanding of how to create prints without a shop.