Filter by Category
PT 622ES Photo-Realistic Painting
with Alicia Mino Gonzalez
The virtuosic richness and detail of photorealism combines the artist’s painting skills with fascinating new techniques for transcribing visual information. Learn how to utilize photography, 3D models, and Photoshop in order to capture complex subject matter. Explore advanced methods of transferring imagery, selecting and manipulating color, and controlling light. All levels welcome. (Bilingual instructor: English & Spanish)
• Students will learn how to create close ups settings of biomorphic 3D models to capture the information needed for a quality panting representation.
• Students will learn how to build up shadow boxes for a better manipulation of the light in their model’s settings.
• Students will learn to transfer images from live models and using the grid in case to use photograph as reference.
• Students will learn how to create better realistic painting effects, manipulating color, light and contrast utilizing photoshop program.
• Students will learn advance techniques for constructing layout, selecting color, blending and edging for an accurate painting result.
DR 607PA The PAFA Atelier
with Peter Van Dyck
A combination instructed-class and open studio for students interested in advancing their representational drawing and painting. Design and work on your own personal projects utilizing the cast collection, figure/portrait models, and still life or interior spaces, assisted by individual critiques and group instruction on topics of broad concern or interest. This course is presented as an intermediate-level format for students with prior drawing/painting experience; beginning-level students should consider Introduction to the PAFA Atelier: Fundamentals of Representational Drawing and Painting. Independent study 9:00am -12:00pm. Space is limited. (Tuition includes $15 model fee.)
PT 703EL Painting Over The Line
with Kassem Amoudi
Advance toward a more liberated way of painting in this open studio environment. Paint from personal subject matter to find your own visual language, informed by examples from contemporary and modern art. Painting experience recommended.
PT 602E Portrait Painting
with Theodore Xaras
This class covers all aspects of painting a traditional portrait. Learn how to achieve a likeness, model light and shade, mix flesh tones, and apply paint. Includes demonstrations, and insights into the history of portraiture. Valuable information for all levels. Drawing experience required.
• The students will learn to analyze and construct a portrait using clearly defined steps.
• Students will be able to achieve a likeness through the careful observation of shapes and their color/value equivalent, which together form the “topography’ of the face.
• Students will learn how to mix and adjust colors to produce accurate flesh tones.
• Students will be able to produce three completed portraits, including one which includes the entire torso and hands.
• With practice, students will be able to paint a recognizable portrait from life.
• Students will gain an appreciation for the art of portraiture from their own work as well as to become acquainted with historical and contemporary examples as a basis for further study.
(Tuition includes $15 model fee.)
PT 621E Painting Secrets of the Masters
with Robert Waddington
Little-known and long-forgotten methods for the realistic depiction of materials and textures in oil paint will be revealed in this exciting class. Learn to portray the reflective qualities of metal, the luster of wood and marble, the transparency of glass, the sparkle of jewelry, and the sumptuous textures and folds of drapery and cloth. Gain a firm understanding of concepts through step-by-step demonstrations of painting techniques, color theory, and drawing methods while working from still life arrangements and figure models in historical costume. Open to both beginning and advanced students.
• Students will gain an appreciation of rare and long forgotten painting methods derived from old treatises and manuscripts.
• Students will learn to analyze and translate the archaic terms of old painter’s treatises into a modern, easy to understand form.
• Students will be able to achieve repeatable results by following a disciplined, formula based method for painting.
• Students will learn how to mix colors according to old master procedures.
• Students will gain confidence by seeing immediate results and improvement in their paintings.
•Students will be further motivated to do research on their own to satisfy the curiosity derived from the class discussions and exercises.
PT 608EE Expressive Acrylic Painting New!
with Alicia Mino Gonzalez
Explore the exciting versatility of acrylics in your own painting style. Study master artists such as Egon Schiele, Ludwig Kirchner and Paul Klee in order to develop alternative and personally expressive ways of depicting objects, people, cities and landscapes in a free and relaxed manner. Learn the characteristics of acrylic paint including color chemistry, texture, and its potential for three-dimensional effects. All levels welcome; no painting experience necessary.
• Students will learn about acrylic color chemistry.
• Students will learn about acrylic color consistency and texture depending on brand, quality and purpose.
• Students will be encouraged to use their imagination and choose their own painting style.
• Students will learn how to work with acrylic color in the same way old and contemporary masters do.
• Students will learn how acrylics can be used on different surfaces.
PT 600E Life Painting And Drawing
with Douglas Martenson
Join PAFA’s celebrated figurative tradition, combining Eakins-influenced historical techniques with contemporary approaches. Master the drawing elements of gesture, proportion, volume, anatomy, tone, and composition in charcoal and colored chalk on toned paper. Progress to oil painting materials and techniques, expanding from limited colors to a full palette. Ideal for all levels, with options to draw- or paint-only based on experience.
• Achieve competency in paint usage and brush manipulation.
• Understand and use color as it pertains to the figure and its immediate environment.
• Learn proportion and simple anatomy of the figure.
• Use tone, value, and line quality in the figure and as it relates to its near environment.
• Be able to translate tone and value to color related to the figure and its near environment.
(Tuition includes a $15 model fee)
PT 601CT Classical Techniques in Still Life Painting
with Frederic Kaplan
Create a compelling sense of realism in your paintings using timeless, classical techniques. Paint the still life from direct observation using opaque scumbles and translucent glazes over a tonal underpainting to produce a rich and luminous surface, in the style of the Old Masters. Excellent for all levels. Basic drawing experience required.