Alla Prima Painting (ONLINE) PT605AP_ON
with Al Gury
Strengthen your oil or acrylic painting skills through this comprehensive exploration of direct, or alla prima, techniques with the chair of PAFA’s painting department and noted author of Alla Prima: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Direct Painting, Al Gury. Instruction will cover the history, color palettes, primary approaches, methods and materials, and aesthetics and styles of direct painting. Each week’s study will be devoted to one area of focus: figure and portrait, landscape, interiors, and expressive approaches. Interactive asynchronous course content, including step-by-step painting demonstrations and critiqued assignments, will be supplemented by daily Zoom meetings with the instructor for group discussion, exploration of painting styles, and problem solving. Open to all levels.
- To understand the painting traditions and materials of alla prima painting.
- To understand color, brushwork and development of an alla prima painting.
- To understand diverse traditions and image making.
- To understand the use of a variety of resources as reference for painting.
- To understand the planning, starting, developing and finishing of a compositional alla prima painting.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to develop a strong alla prima painting.
- Students will be able to develop a visual point of view.
- Students will be able to analyze and understand historical perspectives in alla prima painting and a variety of subjects and composition choices as they may influence a painting process and the development of a personal point of view.
- Students will have better visual language and critical thinking skills.
NOTE: This course is available for 3.0 undergraduate credits for $1,800
Register by: May 14
Materials List : Gury PT 605AP_ON
Images: Al Gury, Mountain Woods, oil on panel, 8 x 10 in.
Session 1: Jun 7 - 25th, 2021
Mon - Fri for 3 weeks from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm