Oil Painting All Levels (ONLINE) PT 601E_ON
with Frederic Kaplan
This special course is designed for students eager to get back to painting, but while keeping a safe distance. Each weekly session contains 3 modules: the first is for beginners or those who need a refresher and covers all the basics; the second for intermediate students, and going more deeply into color, introducing a wider variety of painting methods, and providing additional technical information; the third is for more advanced students – those ready to develop a personal style and express ideas and emotions symbolically. The course includes video and illustrated lessons, plus person-to-person discussions and live critiques via Zoom. (See materials list for more information)
Note: This course is available for 1.0 credit for $525.
- Introduce alla prima (direct) painting techniques.
- How to use a selection of basic materials.
- Familiarity with the “feel” of oil paints and how to manipulate them.Introduction of a limited palette of colors, their properties, and effect in mixtures.
- Elements of chiaroscuro and its use in realistic painting.
- Realistic painting of elemental geometric forms.
- Demonstrate several methods of starting a painting including wipe-out, grisaille, and imprimatur.
- Color theory with emphasis on complementary and analogous color schemes.Introduce a broader range of colors, including transparent pigments.
- Physical and optical color blending methods.Optical color mixing with glazes, velaturas, and scumbles.
- In-depth study of painting mediums and oils.
- Expressive and symbolic use of color.Mark-making as a descriptive and expressive tool.
- Color as a spatial symbol and symbol of illumination.
- Compositional techniques including the golden rectangle, composition grids, element relationships and unity.
Jul 6 - Aug 9th, 2020
for 5 weeks