Pastel Drawing (ONLINE) DR 611E_ON
with Jill A. Rupinski
Explore soft pastel through a variety of application methods, from conventional dry use through more painterly wet techniques, with appropriate supports. Develop your personal style through observational study of still life objects or alternative source material, such as paintings, memory, and photography. Lectures will address framing, protection, storage, and safety issues. Live Zoom instruction will be supplemented by assignments and instructor feedback to promote understanding of the materials and concepts as you hone your skills. All levels welcome.
- Students will learn to use the materials and techniques of traditional soft pastel: with hard, pan and pastel pencil.
- Students will learn the history and legacy of the pastel medium.
- Students will learn the safe use of pastel to include alternative wet techniques.
- Students will learn the proper supports and grounds for various pastels techniques and how to prepare a ground.
- Students will learn to draw/paint with pastel using limited color through a full palette of color.
- Students will explore the complexities of texture, gradation, layering and fixing of pastel.
- Students will learn how to frame, protect, and store pastel drawings.
Register by: May 14
Materials List: Rupinski DR 611E_ON
Jill A. Rupinski, Tenacity (detail), pastel on paper
Session 1: May 25 - Jun 29th, 2021
Tue for 6 weeks from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm