Portrait Painting and Drawing (Online)
with Al Gury
Sundays, 3 – 4 p.m.
An in-depth approach to portrait painting from noted author of Color for Painters: A Guide to Traditions and Practice. Investigate the structure of the human head through drawings and painted studies. Progress to finished paintings and address issues of likeness, composition, space and texture. Learn to better see and understand color to mix it more successfully – a useful skill for painting any subject matter. Includes weekly step-by-step painting demonstrations, assignments that target each important issue of painting a portrait, critiques and weekly Zoom meetings. All levels welcome.
- Students will learn the traditions and history of portraiture
- Students will learn portrait structure and anatomy
- Students will learn how to achieve a good likeness
- Students will learn alla prima (direct) painting techniques
- Students will learn to use the materials and color palettes for effective portrait painting
- Students will learn to use the materials for effective portrait drawing including pastel
- Students will learn to paint portraits from both life and from photo reference
Optional: This course is available for 1.0 undergraduate credit for $575. Select credit option when registering.
Image: Al Gury.
Registration open through course start date. Wait list registration available after course is full.
Session 1: Sep 18 - Nov 20th, 2022
Sun for 10 weeks from 3:00 - 4:00 pmAdd to Wait ListClass is full
For more info, call us at (215) 972-7632