Portrait Painting Basics Workshop
with Theodore Xaras
Saturday & Sunday, 9 am - 5 pm
This comprehensive workshop covers all aspects of painting a traditional portrait. Topics include achieving a likeness, modeling light and shade, mixing flesh tones and applying paint through various techniques. All participants will produce at least one finished portrait. Includes demonstrations and portrait history. Valuable information for all levels.
- Students will learn to analyze and construct a portrait using clearly defined steps.
- Students will be able to achieve a likeness through the careful observation of shapes and their color/value equivalent, which together, form the “topography” of the face.
- Students will learn how to mix and adjust colors to produce accurate flesh tones.
- Students will be able to produce one completed portrait, either a head and shoulders or the entire torso and hands.
- Students will be able to paint a recognizable portrait from life.
- Students will gain an appreciation for the art of portraiture from their own work as well as becoming acquainted with historical and contemporary examples as a basis for further study.
Important: All students enrolling in on-campus courses must submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and booster (or documentation for a medical/religious exemption request) upon registration. Open the Agreement form during checkout to upload an image of your vaccination card or exemption documentation, or submit vaccine and booster documentation below.Onsite card display and card images emailed to the CE office cannot be accepted. Registration for any on-campus course is pending without vaccination documentation or exemption approval.
Register by: July 1
Session 1: Jul 9 - 10th, 2022
Sun and Sat from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building
128 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102 Get directions