PT 602E Portrait Painting
with Theodore Xaras
This class covers all aspects of painting a traditional portrait. Learn how to achieve a likeness, model light and shade, mix flesh tones, and apply paint. Includes demonstrations, and insights into the history of portraiture. Valuable information for all levels. Drawing experience required.
• The students will learn to analyze and construct a portrait using clearly defined steps.
• Students will be able to achieve a likeness through the careful observation of shapes and their color/value equivalent, which together form the “topography’ of the face.
• Students will learn how to mix and adjust colors to produce accurate flesh tones.
• Students will be able to produce three completed portraits, including one which includes the entire torso and hands.
• With practice, students will be able to paint a recognizable portrait from life.
• Students will gain an appreciation for the art of portraiture from their own work as well as to become acquainted with historical and contemporary examples as a basis for further study.
(Tuition includes $15 model fee.)
Jan 23 - Apr 16th, 2020
Thu for 12 weeks from 12:30 - 3:30 pm
Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building
128 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102 Get directions