PT 621E Painting Secrets of the Masters
with Robert Waddington
Little-known and long-forgotten methods for the realistic depiction of materials and textures in oil paint will be revealed in this exciting class. Learn to portray the reflective qualities of metal, the luster of wood and marble, the transparency of glass, the sparkle of jewelry, and the sumptuous textures and folds of drapery and cloth. Gain a firm understanding of concepts through step-by-step demonstrations of painting techniques, color theory, and drawing methods while working from still life arrangements and figure models in historical costume. Open to both beginning and advanced students.
• Students will gain an appreciation of rare and long forgotten painting methods derived from old treatises and manuscripts.
• Students will learn to analyze and translate the archaic terms of old painter’s treatises into a modern, easy to understand form.
• Students will be able to achieve repeatable results by following a disciplined, formula based method for painting.
• Students will learn how to mix colors according to old master procedures.
• Students will gain confidence by seeing immediate results and improvement in their paintings.
•Students will be further motivated to do research on their own to satisfy the curiosity derived from the class discussions and exercises.
Jan 25 - Apr 18th, 2020
Sat for 12 weeks from 12:30 - 3:30 pm
Historic Landmark Building
118 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102 Get directions
Room: Studio 4