with Steve Nocella
Saturdays, 9 am - 1 pm
Explore the possibilities of stone carving by using traditional and nontraditional methods. All processes from rough carving to polishing will be covered, and various tools and techniques will be demonstrated. Open to all levels. (Tuition includes $20 lab fee.)
• Procure a proficiency in basic tool use including manual carving, pneumatic carving, sawing, grinding, and sanding.
• Learn the methods of stone carving beginning with "roughing out" a form, and finishing with sanding and polishing.
• Develop a perceptual ability for spatial relationships of the elements that constitute a sculpture or a three dimensional image.
• Learn to use creative and critical thinking in the process of carving sculpture.
• Gain an appreciation for the influence and informing effect that medium and process have on image making.
• Acquire an introductory understanding of the history of stone carving as well as the capacity to conceptualize context for the student's own sculpture.
NOTE: This course is available for 1.5 undergraduate credits for $770.
Important: All students enrolling in on-campus courses must submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and booster (or documentation for a medical/religious exemption request) upon registration. Open the Agreement form during checkout to upload an image of your vaccination card or exemption documentation, or submit vaccine and booster documentation below.Onsite card display and card images emailed to the CE office cannot be accepted. Registration for any on-campus course is pending without vaccination documentation or exemption approval.
Register by: May 13
Session 1: Jun 4 - Aug 13th, 2022
Sat for 10 weeks from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building
128 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102 Get directions