Trompe L'Oeil Painting (ONLINE) PT 600TL_ON
with Fred Danziger
Trompe l’oeil, or “fool the eye,” is a style of painting in which the artist tries to create an illusion of three dimensionality that is so convincing, the viewer may mistake the flat image for reality. Learn these illusionistic techniques with renowned painter Fred Danziger. Students will set up, light, and paint from their own still life subjects in their home studios. The instructor will provide help with construction and composition, creating an accurate drawing, and techniques for rendering the illusion with the greatest possible “fool the eye” effect. Art historical references and the philosophic uniqueness of trompe l’oeil, will also be discussed.
- Choosing your subject for maximum effect and interest
- Building and lighting your still life
- Supports, mediums, brushes and other special tools
- Compositional drawing
- Painting techniques: underpainting, shadow color theory, layered painting with glazes, velatura
- Special effects such as lettering, satin glow, translucent effects, reflections, possible adding of three-dimensional objects
- Photographing, varnishing, and framing.
Register by: April 9
Materials List : Danziger 600TL_ON
Fred Danziger, Four Ways to Enjoy Chocolate, oil on canvas, 12 x 14 in.
Session 1: Apr 17 - May 22nd, 2021
Sat for 6 weeks from 10:00 am - 1:00 pmAdd to Wait ListClass is full