Filter by Category
Please know that room is limited for lockers. We will do our best to get you on your perfered floor.
DR 605ED Dynamic Figure Drawing New!
with Roberto Osti
Focus on the aesthetic, dynamic and harmonic aspects of the human figure in this advanced drawing course. Employ an active and intuitive interpretation of the body by learning how to read and recognize structural and anatomical characteristics, rather than by merely copying. Starting with a structural, layered anatomical approach developed during the Renaissance, progress to an expressive interpretation of the human figure at rest and in motion. Draw with graphite, charcoal, color pencil, and more, in both reductive and additive techniques, from alternating male and female models in a variety of short and long poses. Basic figure drawing experience required. (Tuition includes $15 model fee.)
DR 607EA Cast Drawing
with Phyllis Laver
Drawing in the Academic manner from plaster casts is a traditional and effective way to learn to draw accurately from observation. PAFA’s beautiful and historic Cast Hall contains life-size copies of antique and Renaissance sculpture – a unique resource that has been part of PAFA’s curriculum for over 200 years. All levels welcome.
- Students will learn to articulate 3-dimensional form with active gestural line.
- Students will translate form into cross-contour models.
- Students will develop skill in drawing form with light.
- Students will manipulate composition to alter visual impact.
- Students will acquire knowledge of diverse artists and their ways of working.
PR 600E Woodcut and Relief Printmaking
with Ronald Wyffels
Printing from a drawing carved into wood or a linoleum block is the oldest and most straightforward form of printmaking. All aspects of the process will be covered, including drawing on the block, carving your design and printing black-and white and color prints. All levels welcome. (Tuition inlcudes a $20 lab fee)
- Students will gain a basic understanding of the relief printing process.
Students will acquire technical experience in preparing woodblocks & linoleum blocks to receive their drawn images.
Students will learn safe and smart cutting techniques for making their printing blocks.
Students will acquire technical expertise by way of proofing and printing their black & white and color relief prints, included learned skills in ink brayer use & press operation.
Students will learn printmaking professionalism including printing editions on clean registered printmaking paper, signing and numbering editions appropriately.
Students will learn the importance of image development through individual reviews and by exploring various possibilities with the process.
Students will develop critical visual and verbal skills by way of individual discussions with the instructor and with their peers.
Students will advance their individual art concepts and expand their artistic territory through new technique & material uses of relief printmaking.
PT 622ES Photo-Realistic Painting
with Alicia Mino Gonzalez
The virtuosic richness and detail of photorealism combines the artist’s painting skills with fascinating new techniques for transcribing visual information. Learn how to utilize photography, 3D models, and Photoshop in order to capture complex subject matter. Explore advanced methods of transferring imagery, selecting and manipulating color, and controlling light. All levels welcome. (Bilingual instructor: English & Spanish)
• Students will learn how to create close ups settings of biomorphic 3D models to capture the information needed for a quality panting representation.
• Students will learn how to build up shadow boxes for a better manipulation of the light in their model’s settings.
• Students will learn to transfer images from live models and using the grid in case to use photograph as reference.
• Students will learn how to create better realistic painting effects, manipulating color, light and contrast utilizing photoshop program.
• Students will learn advance techniques for constructing layout, selecting color, blending and edging for an accurate painting result.
DR 607PA The PAFA Atelier
with Peter Van Dyck
A combination instructed-class and open studio for students interested in advancing their representational drawing and painting. Design and work on your own personal projects utilizing the cast collection, figure/portrait models, and still life or interior spaces, assisted by individual critiques and group instruction on topics of broad concern or interest. This course is presented as an intermediate-level format for students with prior drawing/painting experience; beginning-level students should consider Introduction to the PAFA Atelier: Fundamentals of Representational Drawing and Painting. Independent study 9:00am -12:00pm. Space is limited. (Tuition includes $15 model fee.)
PT 703EL Painting Over The Line
with Kassem Amoudi
Advance toward a more liberated way of painting in this open studio environment. Paint from personal subject matter to find your own visual language, informed by examples from contemporary and modern art. Painting experience recommended.
SC 605EA Terra Cotta Figure Sculpture
with Colleen O’Donnell
Explore the versatility of terra cotta clay, which requires neither an armature nor casting. Learn various techniques and tools through demonstration and hands-on sculpting from the life model or imagination. Anatomy, proportion, design, and personal growth will be emphasized, as well as both representational and abstract approaches.
• Create representations of the human form in three-dimensions.
• Acquire technical knowledge and develop excellent craftsmanship.
• Learn the practice and philosophy of historic and contemporary approaches to human figure artworks.
• Develop strong observational skills, self assessment and the ability to reflect on one’s own work, as well as that of others.
• Develop a personal artistic direction.
• Develop the ability to explore an idea in depth and breadth through a cohesive body of work.
(Tuition includes $15 model fee.)